Julia's Collections

When my mother passed away 20 years ago, my sisters and I had the not-so-fun job of going through her treasures. No one spoke for her recipe collections, so I grabbed them. You see, my mom was a fantastic cook. It seemed a shame to me to have those recipes go unclaimed! Well, here we are, 20 years later; and those recipes have rested in their special place on my closet shelf waiting to be tried . . . .

Thursday, December 22, 2011

Salads for the Shelter - Pineapple Cheese Salad / Delicious Salad / Orange Cream Cheese Salad / Bean Salad (3)

While it is a wonderful thing to do and a great time of year to do it, I can't take credit for overwhelming generosity. I had many of the ingredients in my fridge ready to expire, left over from too much food for Thanksgiving. Before anyone gags, I have properly checked expiration dates and they're all safe. And Doug won't eat the cream cheese. Great solution for us all - not wasting food and hopefully someone will appreciate a salad or two.

PINEAPPLE CHEESE SALAD
Bring to boil one #2 can crushed pineapple & 3/4 cup sugar. Add 1 pkg. Knox gelatin which has been dissolved in 1/3 cup cold water. Stir till mixed well. Set to thicken. Add 1 cup shredded cheese & fold in 1 cup whipped cream. Pour in 8" square pan. Chill.

By the way, I had to look up #2 can. It's a 20 ounce. In the "olden days" cans were numbered with some kind of system. I used to know what the numbers were but have lost that in the recess of other unused facts. I still love Google. Today at the grocery store, a lady asked if I knew what scallions were. I told her I was pretty sure they were green onions. Then I asked her if she would like me to "google" it and she said OK. Well, I was right and she was grateful!

DELICIOUS SALAD
1 large pkg. orange jello
1 large bottle maraschino cherries
1 large can whole pineapple
1 can pimentos
2 cups chopped celery
1 pint whipped cream
2 pkgs Philadelphia cream cheese
Set jello with boiled cherry & pineapple juice until slightly thickened. Add celery, pimentos, pineapple, cherries & cream cheese. Blend in whipped cream & set.

ORANGE CREAM CHEESE SALAD
6 oz. pkg. orange jello, set
1/2 cup chopped celery
1 small can pineapple tidbits
1 can mandarin oranges
3/4 cup cubed cream cheese
Set
Thicken pineapple juice. Cool & mix with 1 pkg. whipped topping mix. Spread on top of salad & sprinkle with nuts.

Confession here - I used Cool Whip on top, but I bet it would be really good with the pineapple cream topping.

BEAN SALAD (3)
1 can yellow beans
2 cans kidney beans
1 can green beans
1 can garbanzo beans
1 cup chopped celery
1 cup chopped green pepper
1 cup chopped onion
Dressing:
1/2 cup vinegar
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup oil
Salt & pepper
Mix & pour over vegetables. Set in refrigerator for at least one or two days.

No comments:

Post a Comment