Julia's Collections

When my mother passed away 20 years ago, my sisters and I had the not-so-fun job of going through her treasures. No one spoke for her recipe collections, so I grabbed them. You see, my mom was a fantastic cook. It seemed a shame to me to have those recipes go unclaimed! Well, here we are, 20 years later; and those recipes have rested in their special place on my closet shelf waiting to be tried . . . .

Monday, December 26, 2011

Christmas Dinners - Salad (2) / Trifle / Impossible Pumpkin Pie

It seemed a little strange to not be making a huge Christmas dinner this year. It's the "off" year, which means everyone is off having fun somewhere besides home. We had a lovely invitation from my nephew's wife, phenagled by my wonderful sister, to join them for Christmas eve. My assignment was to bring a green salad. I decided to bring Geralee's recipe for this easy and delicious salad.

SALAD (2)
Lettuce
Grapefruit
Oranges
Avocado
Onions
with Catalina French

Geralee's food assignment was Trifle. Here she is holding the dessert she made. This recipe was attributed to Aunt Julie, but Geralee has made Trifle every year of Bruce's 40++ years of life, according to Bruce. She makes it with Danish Dessert, which is equally yummy to using Jello. And I prefer raspberries over strawberries. I have made Trifle every year since Coray's mission to England. We're a Trifle-loving family!

TRIFLE
Use flat bottom punch bowl. Line bottom of bowl with Lady Fingers or Angel Cake. 2 pkgs. Of jello slightly set. Pour over cake while runny. Let set. Drain fruit (2 pkgs. Strawberries). Use 1 pkg. vanilla pudding layer, fruit & pudding over jello. Set and serve garnished with whipped cream.

For Christmas day, I made this Impossible Pumpkin Pie. Note that there is no crust - perfect for Doug, who scrapes the filling and leaves the crust every time. Including this time! He didn't notice there was no crust until he got to the bottom. A pretty good pie, but I prefer crust over pie, so I like the traditional version best.

IMPOSSIBLE PUMPKIN PIE
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup Bisquick
2 tbsp. butter or margarine
1 large can evaporated milk
2 eggs
1 can pumpkin or 2 cups
2½ tsp. pumpkin pie spice
2 tsp. vanilla
Beat until smooth (2 min.). Pour in pie plate & bake 375°F (high alt.) 350°F (reg.) for 50-55 min. Serve with whipped cream.

No comments:

Post a Comment