Julia's Collections

When my mother passed away 20 years ago, my sisters and I had the not-so-fun job of going through her treasures. No one spoke for her recipe collections, so I grabbed them. You see, my mom was a fantastic cook. It seemed a shame to me to have those recipes go unclaimed! Well, here we are, 20 years later; and those recipes have rested in their special place on my closet shelf waiting to be tried . . . .

Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Cathedral Window Cookies

Sometimes when I tell people this recipe title, they think of the cookies that you carve out a spot and then melt a life saver to make a little window. Not this recipe. These cookies look like stained glass when you cut them. I didn't use an entire bag of colored marshmallows because it was a large bag. I'm glad I didn't. Still I was afraid that I had used too many. I molded the cookies into about six small logs, which made it more manageable than trying to make one big log. After chilling, they hold together well, and taste great. So here's the dilemma with this recipe - the raw egg. Years ago, I don't think they worried about eating raw eggs like they do nowadays. Just have to say at this point that I love Google. You can ask any question and get the answer! I just "googled" raw egg substitute and got a great list of alternatives. The one I chose was 2 tbsp. cornstarch. Tasteless and safe. I added it with the powdered sugar.

CATHEDRAL WINDOW COOKIES
1 square margarine
1 bar German chocolate
1 cup powdered sugar
1 egg, well beaten
1 pkg. small colored marshmallows
1 cup chopped nuts
1 cup coconut
Melt margarine & chocolate in pan stirring constantly so it doesn't burn. Remove from heat. Add sugar & egg to chocolate mixture. Pour mix over marshmallows & nuts. Stir gently. Shape into roll & roll in coconut. Wrap in wax paper & refrigerate. Keep in fridge until used. Cut in slices to serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment