Julia's Collections

When my mother passed away 20 years ago, my sisters and I had the not-so-fun job of going through her treasures. No one spoke for her recipe collections, so I grabbed them. You see, my mom was a fantastic cook. It seemed a shame to me to have those recipes go unclaimed! Well, here we are, 20 years later; and those recipes have rested in their special place on my closet shelf waiting to be tried . . . .

Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Family Party - Fruit Salad with Poppy Seed Dressing

Every year for at least 25 or so, we have a giant sleepover Christmas party with Doug's family. It's complete chaos, lots of noisy kids, fun & games, and no sleep. But wonderful. My food assignment, among several, was a fruit salad. And I just happened to have a recipe! This poppy seed dressing would be good on any salad. I doubled the fruit portion, and only used about half of a single recipe of the dressing. It goes a long way, especially since the juice left in the fruit tends to dilute the dressing.

FRUIT SALAD WITH POPPY SEED DRESSING
1 can pineapple chunks
1½ to 2 large Delicious apples
1 avocado (optional)
1 banana
1 can mandarin oranges
Flaked coconut
Miniature marshmallows
Dressing:
1 cup pineapple juice
2 well beaten egg yolks
2 tbsp. cornstarch
1/4 tsp. salt
Juice of 1 lemon & 1 orange
1/3 cup sugar
Cook until thick. Add few drops lemon extract. Cool. Add 1 heaping tbsp. poppy seeds and 1/2 cup mayonnaise.

No comments:

Post a Comment