Julia's Collections

When my mother passed away 20 years ago, my sisters and I had the not-so-fun job of going through her treasures. No one spoke for her recipe collections, so I grabbed them. You see, my mom was a fantastic cook. It seemed a shame to me to have those recipes go unclaimed! Well, here we are, 20 years later; and those recipes have rested in their special place on my closet shelf waiting to be tried . . . .

Sunday, January 8, 2012

Brian's Favorite - Lasagna

I'm not really sure why it has taken me so long to post this recipe. I made Lasagna on December 29 when Camille & the boys were here for a few days. I took advantage of the fact that one of Brian's favorite dinners is lasagna. Doug doesn't particularly like it, but he was a good sport and only scraped off a little of the cheese. I did make one modification though. I used oven-ready noodles and didn't boil them in advance. I highly recommend it!

LASAGNA
1 lb. ground beef
1 cup minced onions
1 clove of garlic, minced
1 tbsp. parsley flakes
1 tsp. basil
1½ tsp. salt
1 pound can tomatoes
2 6-oz. cans tomato paste
10 ounce pkg. lasagna noodles
3 cups cream style cottage cheese
2 beaten eggs
1/2 cup parmesan cheese
1 lb. mozzarella or mild American cheese
Brown ground beef, pour off extra fat, add next seven ingredients and simmer till sauce is thick (about 45 minutes). Stir occasionally. Cook the noodles according to instructions on package. Rinse in cold water. Combine cottage cheese with the beaten eggs, parmesan cheese, a dash of salt and pepper. Place half the cooked noodles in a 13x9 baking dish. Spread half of the cottage cheese mixture over; add half of the mozzarella cheese and half of the meat sauce. Repeat layers. Sprinkle with 2 tablespoons parmesan cheese. Bake at 350°F for 40 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment