Julia's Collections

When my mother passed away 20 years ago, my sisters and I had the not-so-fun job of going through her treasures. No one spoke for her recipe collections, so I grabbed them. You see, my mom was a fantastic cook. It seemed a shame to me to have those recipes go unclaimed! Well, here we are, 20 years later; and those recipes have rested in their special place on my closet shelf waiting to be tried . . . .

Sunday, January 15, 2012

Two-Hour Rolls

I never really believe the time estimates on these recipes; i.e., Two-Hour Rolls, One-Hour Rolls, Quick Rolls, etc. I probably stretched these rolls out to three hours, but I think two might have been realistic. I made one accidental modification - I mis-read the butter amount as 3/4 cup rather than 3/4 cube. Only made them richer, so I'd say go for it. To compensate for the extra butter, I did add more flour - probably closer to 7 cups. I also would recommend softening or melting the butter before adding it to the milk. The scalded milk (I just did it in the microwave) wasn't hot enough to make the butter soft enough for the kneading process. Don't want a big hunk of butter left after 10 minutes of kneading! This is a delicious, light roll.

TWO-HOUR ROLLS
Scald 1½ cups milk. Add 3/4 cube margarine into milk. Add 3 tbsp. sugar and 1/2 cup cold water. Put 2 yeast cakes [5 tsp. dry yeast] in 1/2 cup warm water. Mix together. Add 2 beaten eggs, 5 cups flour, 1½ tsp. salt. Knead good. Roll immediately. Cut. Raise for 2 hours. Bake 15 minutes at 425°F.

No comments:

Post a Comment